The error “naponewsonline.org is missing” is frequently encountered by Windows users after they update iTunes to the latest version. Most users affected by this issue are unable to open iTunes.
You are watching: itunes missing api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
From our investigations, it seems like the issue has been going around for a couple of years and seems to resurface whenever Apple releases a new iTunes update. Although the naponewsonline.org file is located in at least three different locations, it seems like only the one located in Program Files / iTunes is misbehaving.
If you’re currently struggling with this issue, the following methods might help. We have managed to identify and curate a collection of fixes that have resolved the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error for users in a similar situation. Please follow the methods in order until you encounter a fix that manages to resolve the problem for your situation. Let’s begin!
Method 1: Replacing naponewsonline.org with a local copy (temporary fix)
As some users have pointed out, the naponewsonline.org file can be found in several different places. Some users have managed to fix the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error by replacing the “naponewsonline.org file from Program Files / iTunes with a copy from Program Files / Common Files / Apple / Apple Applications Support.
Other users are reporting that this fix only works if you copy and paste all the DLL files from the Apple Application Support.
Note: Keep in mind that while this method has a high chance of being successful, some users have reported that the fix is only temporary. The problem seems to resurface every time this particular DLL file is updated. If you find that the issue returns at the next update or you’re looking for a more permanent fix, jump straight to Method 2.
Here’s a quick guide on how to replace the naponewsonline.org file with another local copy:
- Make sure that iTunes and any other process that belongs to Apple is closed.
- Navigate to Program Files / Common Files / Apple / Apple Applications Support and copy naponewsonline.org along with every other DLL file that you can find in the root folder of Apple Application Support.
- Next, navigate to Program Files / iTunes and paste all the previously copied items here.
- Start iTunes and see whether the software manages to start without the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error. If you’re still encountering the same error, move down to Method 2.
Method 2: Installing the Universal C Runtime update
As it turns out, a lot of users have managed to resolve the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error by installing the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows.
Keep in mind that this update should automatically be installed via WU (Windows Update). But if you have a lot of pending updates and you’re rushing to resolve the issue, there’s also a manual way that will specifically install what iTunes requires.
Follow the guide down below to fix the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error by uninstalling the Universal C Runtime update according to your Windows version:
- Visit this Microsoft official link (here) and scroll down to the Microsoft Download Center (Method 2). Next, click on the package associated with your Windows version and architecture.
- At the next page, select your language and hit the Download button to initiate the download.
- Once the update is downloaded, open the installer and follow the on-screen prompts to install it on your system.
- When the installation is complete, reboot your computer and see if the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error has been resolved at the next startup.
If you’re still struggling with the issue, move down to Method 3.
Method 3: Installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
As some users have pointed out, the naponewsonline.org file might not install with a Windows installation, service pack update or regular update. This might become a problem because some programs (including iTunes) require this particular runtime file (win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll) in order to function properly.
Fortunately, all DLL files that are needed by iTunes are included in the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. See if the issue is resolved after you follow this link (here), download the package and then install it on your system.
If installing the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 dosen’t resolve the issue, move down to the final method.
Method 4: Installing an older iTunes version
Other users that went through the fixes above without a result have only managed to bypass the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error after installing an older iTunes version.
However, this process is not as straightforward as one would like since the downgrade won’t produce the expected results unless the user removes all Apple related components.
Follow the step-by-step guide below to remove all Apple-related components and install an older version of iTunes:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run box. Type “appwiz.cpl” and hit Enter to open Programs and Features.
- In Programs and Features, hit the Publisher button at the top of the column to make sure we’re uninstalling every program signed by Apple Inc.
- Systematically uninstall every software that is signed by Apple Inc. by right-clicking on each and clicking Uninstall.
- Once every software signed by Apple has been uninstalled, reboot your computer.
- At the next startup, visit this official link (here) and scroll down to the iTunes installers section. Then, click on a ling associated with an older version to commence the download.
- Open the iTunes installer and follow the prompts to install the older version on your system. Once the installation is complete, reboot your system once again an see whether the “naponewsonline.org is missing” error has been resolved.